Relevant categories: Bronzes
(Above photo - Bronze candelabras in the Matthew Boulton manner )
A candelabra is a candlestick with multiple branches. Candelabras were used to light up rooms in the house. Each of the branches would hold a candle. In most cases, the candelabras were made from bronze, even though some were in the form of silver. The composition of French candelabras is much more than just the branches. They usually feature the following parts:
• The column or stem, which is the main part supporting the branches
• The branches, which jut out to form the candelabra
• The nozzle, which is where you place the candles
• The base, which supports the entire structure and the weight of the candles
• The capital, in which the candle is held firmly
• The knop or shoulder, which is a knob created for ornamental purposes
• The well, which could be on the base. Its purpose is to catch the molten wax
• The wax pan or drip pan, which captures the molten wax before it reaches the well.
Now, the candelabra was once a highly functional object. In Latin, the word candelabrum means “candle tree.” However, the old English term “candelabrum” has since changed to candelabra. Today, collectors by bronze candelabra mainly for decorative purposes.
(Above photo -( Pair Bronze Candelabras - Large French Cherub Manner Clodion )
Even though candelabra have existed for centuries, they were widely used from the 14th and 15th centuries. Almost every home has a candelabra of sorts, mainly to provide lighting during the night. The wealthy individuals invested a lot of money in intricately constructed candelabra as a way of displaying their wealth.
Types of Bronze Candelabras
(Above photo - Pair Cherub Bronze Candelabras Candles French Clodion )
There are different types of candelabras based on the number of arms and the candles they can hold. They include the following:
• Two-arm candelabras, which contain three candles, thanks to a central candle holder. However, they may also hold only two candles if the primary candle holder is missing.
• Four-arm candelabras, which hold five candles, also held one in the central candle holder. Where the primary candle holder is missing, the candelabra would only be able to hold four candles.
However, several candelabras come with pivotal or rotational arms. This design is meant for you to light the candles easily. You only need to move a candelabra around the shoulders instead of the base. There are several candelabras that come with detachable arms, which act as candlesticks. Also, removable arms make it easy when you want to clean the candelabra.
Bronze Candelabra Styles
(Above photo - Pair French Candelabras - Empire Ormolu Urn Candles )
Candelabra were made over six centuries. Therefore, they come in different styles depending on the period in which they were made. The most common antique candelabras are available in the Baroque, Gothic, Georgian, and Rococo styles. Also, there are several that feature the modern chic and shabby styles.
Apart from bronze, candelabras are made from solid brass, silver, or gold. However, the majority are only electroplated using any of those metals. The bases do not have to be solid metal. Instead, they are likely to feature materials such as wood, Lucite, and marble.
Make sure you pay attention to all of the above as you go searching for a bronze candelabra to buy. You don’t want to end up with too many surprises.
Pair Cherub Bronze Candelabras...
Pair Antique Bronze Candelabra...
Pair Bronze Candelabras - Lar...
Taking Photos Of Antiques For ECommerce - Photography Tips
With the large writing surface, our selection of Victorian writing tables are perfect for a home office set up
Highlight your classical busts, porcelain vases, curios, cassoulets or marble urns on our range of marble pedestal stands.